Walk of Gladness and Generosity
What a year! A year like no other. A year that has affected everyone in so many different ways. It’s a year which had brought a lot of sadness and difficulty. But, are there some things we can be glad about? It’s a year when people have done some remarkable things to help others, being generous in using their talents, money, ideas, possessions and time for others.
Fancy a walk? Fancy a walk where you can think about things to be glad about and think about generosity? To think about Christmas, the year just gone and hope for the times we have ahead? If so, you’re looking for the Walk of Gladness and Generosity! “Gladness and Generosity” is one of the marks of the early church, as we read in Acts chapter 2 verse 46.
There is a booklet (link below) to guide you to think about gladness and generosity as you walk. There is a version of the booklet which you can print out (using appropriate printer settings, such as “print on both sides” and “flip on short edge”). There is also a version which is suitable to have on your mobile phone or other mobile device. It has interactive links from the Map to each of the pages of the booklet.
The walk starts where Station Road meets the cycle tracks (number 54 and 68), just across the road and across the bridge from the Great Northern pub. We suggest that people can do the walk some time between 1:30 and 4:00 on Sunday 27th December, so it is roughly the same time as we would have the 4pm service. But you can do it any time! The walk is around 1 mile plus the distance you need to travel to get there and back. Take your time, you don’t have to rush it! Neither do you have to do all that is suggested in the booklet.
If you want to share any photos, thoughts or experiences you can do so on the Mickleover Methodist Church Facebook page or email the church office at
At the end of the walk you will have the opportunity to put a decoration on a fir tree. Maybe you have one at home? Maybe you want to make one? Maybe you want to put a message of hope on the tree, for others to read? If you don’t go prepared, maybe you will see something along the walk that you could turn into a decoration?
So, enjoy your walk!
For the latest Sunday Service sheet please click here
or visit our Worship page
If you would like to join our regular Zoom services please email
These services include Messy Church, Spark to a Flame, prayers and chat, coffee and chat and Sunday Worship
Follow us on Facebook at
Mickleover Methodist Church
Shop and support Mickleover Methodist Church and Preschool and The Hardy Group at AmazonSmile
Follow the link to shop and raise funds for these charitable causes at no extra cost to you
- Our Spark to a Flame Service of Alternative Worship is held at 10.00am on the Third Sunday of most months. This provides an informal worshiping and learning environment for both children and adults. It runs in the large hall in parallel with the morning service in the Chapel and normally attracts about 60 people. The next service will be 17th Jan 2021 via zoom
- This was a recent service.
- Messy Church is held monthly on the first Tuesday in the month from 4 – 6 pm. Come and share in play, games, worship, teaching, craft and a meal together. The next service is 2nd Feb 2021 via Zoom. This was a recent Messy Church
- Women’s Fellowship meets at 2,15 pm on Tuesdays. The meeting starts with devotions, followed by speaker each week. The meeting ends with a cup of tea, biscuits and a chat. it is a very friendly group and would be delighted if you joined in. Our Autumn Programme is being prepared
- Wesley Guild meets at 7.30pm on a Wednesday. It has a wide range of interesting speakers and an opportunity for a chat over coffee. Our Autumn Programme is being prepared
- Funtime. Do you like to relax and chat over tea or coffee, play games, puzzle over quizzes together and have fun? Then why not come along to Funtime at the Methodist Church on alternate Wednesday mornings.
- If you want to relax and have a chat for a while on a Friday morning, come along to the Mickleover Methodist Church for Coffee and Cakes. It is open from 9.00 am to 12.00 every Friday but will not be open until September. You could also join in the Scrabble Club at the same time on the last Friday of the month from 10 am.
If you want to know more about what we are doing, see our website at www.mickleovermethodist.org.uk
CHURCH ACTIVITIES: NO ACTIVITIES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
9.15 am. Morning Preschool. Also afternoons on Thursday and Friday
10.00 – 12.00 am. Church office open.
12.15 pm.Chat ‘n’ Play.
1.30 pm. Little Mickler’s Baby and Toddlers Group.
5.30 pm. Derwent Beavers.
2.15 pm. Women’s Fellowship.
4pm to 6pm. (first Tuesday in Month during school term time) Messy Church
6.30 pm. Red Fox Cub Scouts.
12 noon Communion followed by Soup and Roll (First Wed. in month)
10:00am Fun Time (1st, 3rd & 5th Wednesdays)
5.00pm. Dove Beavers
5.30 pm. Girls Brigade
7.30 pm. Wesley Guild
6.30 pm. Brown Bear Cub Scouts
9.00 – 12.00 am. Drop-in Cafe, refreshments and chat.
10.00 am (Fourth Friday in month). Scrabble Group
7.00 pm. Kinder Scouts
First Saturday in Month, 12.00. Lunches (open to all)
On occasional Saturdays, 10.00 am. FairTrade Cafe and Traidcraft Stall
Alternate Saturdays, 7.00 pm, Pathfinders (Ecumenical Group for school year 5 upwards)
Visit our website, www.mickleovermethodist.org.uk for programmes and details of the events.